Q Fever vaccination is important for anyone who may participate in risk activities with animals including:
• Contact with cattle, sheep or native animals
• Working in or visiting abattoirs, meat packing plants or tanneries
• Regular visits to rural areas, particularly in dusty conditions
• Maintaining livestock transport equipment that travel in these areas
• Working with animal specimens in classrooms/laboratories
Subjects who are working, should be vaccinated BEFORE they start work as the risk of infection is highest in the first few years. Persons who have already had Q Fever cannot be vaccinated as they can develop severe complications to the vaccine.
The Q Fever bacteria is particularly hardy and infectious - a single bacteria is able to cause an infection.